Microphlebectomy Near Cleveland
Microphlebectomy is a minimally invasive procedure available at our office near Cleveland that is used to remove varicose veins that are near the surface of the skin. The process involves pulling the varicose vein out with a special tool and the vein is closed. The blood flows through healthy veins and the leg looks smooth again.
When you consult with our vein specialist near Cleveland, your varicose veins may be examined with ultrasound. If you are a good candidate for microphlebectomy, a complete medical history of your veins will be taken. The main benefits of this procedure are:
- Little risk of significant problems after the treatment, blood loss or infection
- The procedure can be done as an outpatient, so there is no hospital stay
- The treatment takes about one hour
- You can return to work or daily activities the next day
- Rarely any scarring
- High success rate
The procedure begins by administering a local anesthetic. Once the anesthetic is given, patients rarely feel any discomfort. There should not be any discomfort after the procedure, especially if compression stockings are worn as directed.
After the procedure, you may have some minor bruising and swelling. This is normal and temporary. Bandages will be applied over the treated area. You can walk immediately after the treatment and do normal exercise but no heavy lifting. Our specialist will give you detailed instructions for the days and weeks after the treatment.
The varicose vein has been removed from your body and cannot come back. However, if you are physically prone to develop varicose veins, other veins could become weak. In some cases, we may recommend sclerotherapy treatments for other veins after microphlebectomy has been performed. The best way to prevent this is to follow a few tips for keeping your veins healthy. The main tips are:
- Get regular exercise. It does not have to be rigorous, but you should walk for half an hour every day. Exercise helps keep your leg muscles strong and able to help push the blood against gravity to the heart
- Lose weight if you are obese
- If you sit at a desk for long periods every day, make sure you get up and walk around every hour for at least 10 minutes
- If you stand for long periods every day, make sure you sit with your feet raised for a few minutes throughout the day
Microphlebectomy is a safe and effective way to remove unwanted varicose veins, and it is provided with expertise here at Smith Vein Institute in Concord Township and Middlefield. Contact our office today to schedule your first appointment and learn more.