Feel Better About Your Legs
Smith Vein Institute is devoted to diagnostic and therapeutic vein care. Our varicose vein treatments are covered by Medicare and by most commercial insurance plans. At Smith Vein Institute, we use the most advanced technology in the vein care industry to provide minimally-invasive comprehensive vein care in a comfortable office-based setting.
Varicose veins, spider veins and other vein problems are a common complaint. Over 80 million adults suffer from vein problems, which can be both uncomfortable and unattractive. At Smith Vein Institute, we can help you address your vein issues.
Why Choose Smith Vein Institute?
Our leading East Cleveland area vein clinic offers patients numerous advantages when it comes to treatment of vein problems:
- Patient care is overseen by Dr. David Smith an experienced surgeon who is board-certified in Cardiovascular Disease and is a diplomate of the Board of Venous and Lymphatic medicine
- Clean, safe, state-of-the-art office environment where you will feel assured of the best possible care
- Experienced staff who make your confidence and comfort their highest priority
- We offer state-of-the-art approaches to vein treatment, including EVLT, ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy, ambulatory phlebectomy and transdermal laser
- Most treatments are minimally invasive and geared at getting you back on your feet as soon as possible
- Free screenings to determine whether you should seek treatment for your veins
- Most insurance plans accepted
What Are Varicose Veins?
You have probably heard the term “varicose veins” plenty of times – it is an exceedingly common condition that affects people of all ages, populations, and physical abilities. Varicose veins result from a condition called venous reflux. In healthy veins, blood flows steadily from the limbs back to the heart, pumped along by the leg muscles. Venous reflux occurs when the valves weaken or fail, impeding the steady flow of blood and causing it to slow down, cease, pool in one place, or even reverse its course. This situation in the veins often leads to what we call varicose veins. There are numerous causes for varicose veins, most of which cannot be helped, including physical stress, age, weight gain, pregnancy, and heredity.
How Do I Know If I Have Varicose Veins?
Common symptoms of varicose veins include the following:
- The appearance of discolored, bulging, ropey or knotted leg veins close to the surface of the skin
- Sore, burning, or throbbing legs
- Trouble walking even short distances without experiencing leg fatigue
- Chronic aching in the legs, especially when sitting or standing for prolonged periods at a time
- “Restless leg syndrome” that causes the legs to twitch at night and interferes with sleep
- What about spider veins?
Unlike with varicose veins, patients with spider veins seldom suffer from physical discomfort as a result of their condition, but many people opt to treat spider veins because they can be unsightly. Spider veins look like tiny cobweb or roadmap lines close to the surface of the skin on the head, neck, face, arms, legs or chest. They can be red or blue in color.
What Kind of Treatments Are Available?
At Smith Vein Institute, we offer a host of treatment plans based on your particular medical situation. Common approaches to varicose veins and spider veins include laser ablation, radiofrequency ablation, ambulatory phlebectomy, sclerotherapy, ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy, and transdermal laser. Dr. David Smith, will discuss all your options with you and make a recommendation for how to treat your problem veins.
We invite you to contact us by online submission, or by phone to schedule your initial Vein Consultation with Smith Vein Institute – the Regional Leader in Vein Care.
Cleveland’s Most Experienced Vein Surgeon: Dr. David G. Smith
Dr. David G. Smith is an experienced cardiologist and a leading vein specialist dedicated to the treatment of varicose vein disease and related disorders. Prior to starting Smith Vein Institute in 2009, Dr. Smith had received his medical degree in 1991 from Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine. He completed his residency at Akron General Medical Center and his fellowship in cardiovascular disease at the world-renowned Mt. Sinai Medical Center and MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio. He began his medical career as a staff cardiologist at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit prior to joining the staff at University Hospitals of Cleveland.
Dr. Smith’s goal has always been to provide the safest and most effective comprehensive treatment programs available while offering the best in patient care and overall patient experience. Board-certified in cardiovascular disease, this capable surgeon is also a diplomate of the Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine and is an RPVI Certified Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation. These certifications authenticate Dr. David G. Smith’s special knowledge about diseases and treatments affecting blood vessels and lymph nodes.
Today, Dr. David G. Smith is the President and Owner of Smith Vein Institute and Smith Cosmetic Laser Surgery, an active member of the American College of Phlebology, and the President of Advanced Cardiovascular Consultants. His extensive experience in cardiovascular and venous disease enables him to perform a wide variety of specialized procedures treating varicose vein disease, including radiofrequency and endovenous laser ablations, ambulatory phlebectomy and ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy.